Monday, October 21, 2013

2013 Pacific International Quilt Festival: Part 2

Welcome to Day 2 of the 2013 Pacific International Quilt Festival!  This year's  theme is "Indie". The quilt artists were asked to explain what the concept of independence meant to them and the ways that they demonstrated independence in their work.

Venetian Menagerie, 60 x 66",  by Melissa Sobotka


Blue ribbon winner for "Best in World" at the 2013 World Quilt Competition, this quilt is a most impressive show-stopper.  Melissa says, " [I was] inspired by a photo I took of a display window in Venice, Italy. The dramatic still life was a menagerie or masks, art, and oddities. [This technique is] raw edge fused applique constructed from cotton batiks and enhanced with Tsukineko inks."

Close up, Venetian Menagerie by Melissa Sobotka


Innovative and elaborate machine quilting is part of Melissa's spectacular work.  

Ulu, or A Tribute to the Longevity of Marriage, 43 x 40", by Pamela E. Foster


Pamela notes,  "My pursuit of traditional, fully hand-sewn applique and quilting is in dramatic contrast to my high tech equipment that I use as a laparoscopic surgeon. I use cameras and log instruments to reach deep inside the abdomen to perform complex sewing tasks, pushing the limits of my abilities and imagination.....to help ailing patients. However,  with quilting, I enjoy being in full contact with my project, working with  whole cloth projects and seeing designs emerge from a blank slate. This juxtaposition between my personal and professional life epitomizes my independence.

The traditional "ulu" or breadfruit design was copied from a photograph of a 200 year old quilt from Kauai, Hawaii. The quilt is dedicated to my in-laws ad my parents, both celebrating 50 years of marriage."   We really enjoyed Pamela's lovely creation, in shades of cream and tangerine orange, which was hand appliqued and hand quilted. 

Life at the Water's Edge by Ann Horton


Blue ribbon winner in the Wall Quilt category, Ann writes, "Looking down through the branches, life by the edge of a stream is viewed with all of its activity. Digitized embroidery that has been shaped in software has been enhanced with free motion thread play. The animal tracks were stenciled and then quilted for the highlights. I used my felting machine for the next and embellishments on the rocks and logs. Adding a few bird feathers was the final bit of glory. "

Close up, Life at the Water's Edge by Ann Horton


Intricately embroidered bluebirds perch amidst the white blossoms, peering intently down at a lively woodside setting.  Their vibrant color and realistic appearance creates a perfect focal point for this very eye-catching machine appliqued and machine quilted work.

Kaleidoscopic Calamity, 35 x 35", by Margaret Solomon Gunn


Margaret states, "I wanted to make a quilt from exclusively solid fabrics. Some days, this experiment felt like a content comingling of color, while other [days] , it was a full-blown kaleidoscopic calamity." 

Close-up, Kaleidoscopic Calamity by Margaret Solomon Gunn 


Margaret adds, "The quilting is done in an "overlay" style using Filtec's Glide threads." The soft pink inner diamond really helps the stars "pop" on this very pretty solid color quilt.

The Favorite Place, 61 x 66",  by Kayoko Fukui,  Japan


Kayoko notes, "I grow herbs and flowers in my 2700 square foot garden. I tried to profile the flowers which always soothe my mind in this quilt. I used the Cathedral [Windows] technique, painting on the small flowers and a stitched outline."

Close up, The Favorite Place by Kayoko Fukui , Japan


Tiny white flowers in between each block add a delightful charm and delicacy to Kayoko's work, which is hand pieced and machine quilted.

Image credits:  Photos were taken by Quilt Inspiration.

3 comments:

  1. These quilt are more than fabulous.Kaleidoscopic quilting is simply stunning .Thanks for the awesome pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen some other posts by fellow bloggers. That seems to have been an amazing show. Quilters in that area are lucky to get a close up of the variety of quilts.

    ReplyDelete

We love reading each and every comment... thanks for visiting our blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails